Government is effective July 1 set to elevate Fort Portal, Mbarara, Hoima, Lira, Arua, Gulu, Mbale, Jinja and Entebbe municipalities to cities, supposedly to promote regional development.
The Vision 2040 recommendation to create the new cities is to decongest Kampala, the commissioner in-charge of Urban Planning, Mr Justin Niwagaba, said last week.
According to the Local Government Act, a municipality must have a population of at least 500,000, have facilities, institutions, developments and an enabling environment that attract people to work, invest and stay there.
The private sector must also offer services to support the growing city and its population, among others.
According to Mr Niwagaba, Arua, Mbarara, Gulu and Mbale will be regional cities while others will be strategic cities; Fort Portal (tourism), Jinja (industrial), Lira (industrial) and Hoima (oil).
Nakasongola and Moroto have been differed because their planning requires a different model where basic amenities must be put in place in order to attract dwellers.
Fort Portal tourism city
A fortnight ago, Kabarole District Council approved the proposed Fort Portal tourism city after resolving to annex other lower administrative units as it gears up for the long awaited city status.
Parts of the district annexed to the proposed tourism city include Karago Town Council and Ibaale Parish from Busoro and Karambi sub-counties.
Others include Kiko, Mugusu and Kasenda town councils and Kasenda, Ruteete, Mugusu and Karagura sub-counties. These are endowed with tourism sites such as crater lakes.
The proposed city will have two divisions; one will cover the present East and South divisions, Ibaale Parish, Rubigo Parish and Karambi Sub-county, while the other will cover the present West Division, Karago Town Council, Bukuuku Sub-county and Butebe Parish.
Currently, Fort Portal has West, East and South divisions, covering about 40 square kilometers against the required 120 square kilometers, according to the mayor, the Rev Kintu Muhanga. The 2014 national census put the town population at 54,275.
The urban authority in 2016 launched a campaign of planting one million trees with the aim of creating a forest city by 2025.
Credit: Daily Monitor
Dr Reuben Savai, 70, whose attempts to run for the presidency in 1997 and 2002 were thwarted by the electoral commission is dead, his son Mr Daniel Lihanda said on Sunday.
Despite securing six degrees and a diploma, the controversial politician still could not secure formal employment in Kenya.
Dr Savai, who holds six degrees from Greece and a diploma from Makerere University in Uganda, was barred from contesting for the top seat by the defunct Electoral Commission of Kenya in the 1997 and 2002 elections.
After failed attempts, the Kenya Republican Reformation Party leader’s effort to secure a formal job also hit a dead end.
Some of his academic credentials include Diploma in Theology, Law degree and two Bachelor of Education degrees, one in Arts and another in Science.
As from: Daily Monitor
US President Donald Trump will address the nation on Monday after two shootings left 29 people dead and sparked accusations that his rhetoric was part of the problem.
The rampages turned innocent snippets of everyday life into nightmares of bloodshed: 20 people were shot dead while shopping at a crowded Walmart in El Paso, Texas on Saturday morning, and nine more outside a bar in a popular nightlife district in Dayton, Ohio just 13 hours later.
Trump will again find himself in the role of consoler-in-chief after a tragedy -- which he has struggled with in the past -- when he speaks at 10:00 am (1400 GMT).
Following the shootings, Trump said "hate has no place in our country," but he also blamed mental illness for the violence.
"These are really people that are very, very seriously mentally ill," he said, despite the fact that police have not confirmed this to be the case.
"We have to get it stopped. This has been going on for years... and years in our country," he said.
Drama unfolded in Godmiaha village, Rachuonyo East in Homa Bay County, Kenya, when a 38-year-old man who was believed to have died a month ago resurfaced as “his funeral” was underway.
Mr Kennedy Olwa, who is reported to have disappeared from home for almost 20 years and was presumed dead, appeared to mourners who had attended his “funeral” at his parents’ home.
The man is said to have gone to Mbita Town and became a fisherman after he left home.
He later relocated to Alum beach along Lake Victoria in Rachuonyo North Sub-County.
According to Ramba Location Chief Joseph Ndege, the family of Mr Olwa was informed that their son had died after an illness.
Suspected kidnappers of US tourist Kimbley Sue Endicott have been arrested. Endicott and a Ugandan tour guide Jean Paul Mirenge Remezo were kidnapped by four gunmen, who hijacked their safari vehicle from Queen Elizabeth National Park on April 2.
The gunmen had demanded a ransom of $500,000 (about Shs1.8b) using Ms Sue and Mirenge’s cell phones.
Police said the two were rescued from the Democratic Republic of Congo by a joint effort involving the Uganda police force, Uganda Peoples Defence Forces (UPDF) and sister security agencies.
Reports indicate that the US military also provided support to Ugandan security forces to accomplish the mission. The support included intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance assets and liaison officers, according to US news outlets.
Ms Sue was handed over to the US Embassy in Kampala by Inspector General of Police Martin Okoth Ochola on Monday.
Two of the four gunmen have reportedly been apprehended. The two were only identified as Hakim and Kwarishiima. Sources said the suspects were flown from Kanungu District in western Uganda where they were tracked using a device which was placed in the ransom money they received before setting Ms Sue and Mirenge free.
"The joint security team actively investigating the kidnapping incident and successful recovery of an American tourist Ms. Kimberly Sue Endicott and a Senior Tour Guide, Jean Paul Mirenge- Remezo, has made some arrests of suspects, on suspicion of being involved in their kidnap," police tweeted on Tuesday.
Police spokesperson Fred Enanga confirmed to URN that there were some arrests made in regard to the kidnap. He, however, declined to divulge details.
"I can confirm that there were some arrests but I am yet to get details. I will brief you when I get the information," Enanga said.
US President Donald Trump on Monday tasked the Ugandan government to hunt the kidnappers and bring them to book.
“Uganda must find the kidnappers of the American tourist and guide before people will feel safe in going there. Bring them to justice openly and quickly,” President Trump tweeted.
The kidnap cast a shadow on Queen Elizabeth National Park, one of the most visited tourist attractions which is home to lions, hippos, crocodiles and various types of antelopes.
Credit: Daily Monitor Uganda
A Canadian couple has successfully completed a 2,200km ride around three regions of Uganda, raising awareness about vulnerable children.
John Devris and Stacy Devris from British Columbia arrived in the country last month and embarked on a trip around 50 districts in the East, Central and Western Uganda. They returned to Kassanda District on Tuesday.
The whole journey, according to Stacy took them 30 days, riding between 50km to 100km every day.
Stacy says when she first came to Uganda in 2017, she saw a number of vulnerable children and on her return home, she decided to hold an activity through which she would support them.
“I am happy that when I told my husband John about it, he accepted and we decided to come back to Uganda and identify some vulnerable children to assist,” She says.
This comes at a time when Stacy is celebrating her 50th birth day. She says she chose to celebrate her birth day by supporting vulnerable children.
In Kassanda District, the couple was welcomed by officials of Kassanda Children’s Aid, a Christian community based organisation caring for vulnerable children.
“We are happy that we have returned while still alive, everywhere we have passed, our presence has been felt and we hope people will sustain the campaign to help vulnerable children ,” She says
Pastor Vincent Ssenyonga, the Chief Executive Officer for Kassanda Children’s Aid commends the couple for supporting children.
Ssenyonga says the couple has already identified 54 children in the area whose schools fees they are going to pay.
Majority of the beneficiaries are orphans or come from impoverished families.
“Deciding to celebrate your birth day by supporting others is a very good gesture and we need also learn from you so that we always engage in such activities,” he says.
Source: Daily Monitor
On Friday evening, police arrested evangelist Joseph Kabuleta with a colleague, Godwin Matsiko, at Forest Mall, Lugogo, Kampala.
He is now facing charges of offensive communication against the president under Section 25 of the Computer Misuse Act, 2011, and is being held at the Special Investigation Unit (SIU) Kireka.
“This is to inform the public that a team of detectives from the Special Investigation Division has today arrested Joseph Kabuleta, a self-styled pastor and put him under custody. He has been apprehended because of offensive communication against the person of the President,” read a statement from the police spokesperson, Mr Fred Enanga, on Friday.
Police claim, the writer repeatedly posted offensive messages, under ‘Joseph Kabuleta Weekly Rant contrary to the Computer Misuse Act.
The evolving media landscape has granted a safety net on cyberspace beyond the gated community where the state uses a compliant media as a cog in its transactional politics.
This has given rise to those who speak power to the truth.
Kabuleta and the others have adopted the ‘publish and be damned’ adage, and are not ready to play within the ambit of traditional media.
It comes with consequences as Enanga warns: “The joint forces will continue using the acquired capabilities to monitor comments on social media and any offenders will be investigated and punished.”
Source: The Daily Monitor
A Zimbabwe court Monday convicted leading opposition figure Tendai Biti of an election crime and fined him for announcing his own results for presidential polls last July, which he claimed he won.
Biti, a respected former finance minister, proclaimed his Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) the victor of the contested July 30 poll which sparked anti-government protests that were put down by soldiers.
Six people were killed in the violence.
Magistrate Gloria Takundwa ordered Biti to pay $200 -- the price of a full tank of petrol -- or go to prison for a week. He was also handed a jail term of six months, which was suspended for five years.
MDC leader Nelson Chamisa, who was in court, said the conviction "casts a very dark shadow on our politics".
Zimbabwe was thrown into chaos following the elections, the first in the country's history not to feature former president Robert Mugabe following his resignation in the wake of a brief military takeover in November 2017.
President Emmerson Mnangagwa had promised not to repeat the rigging and intimidation that characterised previous votes, but delays in announcing results enraged the opposition and led to street demonstrations.
Mnangagwa, Mugabe's successor at the head of ruling party ZANU-PF, was later declared the winner according to the official results, but the MDC claims the election was rigged.
Biti fled the country for neighbouring Zambia at the height of the poll tensions but was returned to Zimbabwe despite seeking asylum, sparking an international incident.
The international community has urged Mnangagwa to guarantee the safety of Biti, who was the internationally-respected finance minister in Zimbabwe's 2009-2013 power-sharing government.
Biti's lawyer Doug Coltart described Monday's conviction as a "travesty, and said it remained "open to challenge."
Source: Daily Monitor