Government is effective July 1 set to elevate Fort Portal, Mbarara, Hoima, Lira, Arua, Gulu, Mbale, Jinja and Entebbe municipalities to cities, supposedly to promote regional development.
The Vision 2040 recommendation to create the new cities is to decongest Kampala, the commissioner in-charge of Urban Planning, Mr Justin Niwagaba, said last week.
According to the Local Government Act, a municipality must have a population of at least 500,000, have facilities, institutions, developments and an enabling environment that attract people to work, invest and stay there.
The private sector must also offer services to support the growing city and its population, among others.
According to Mr Niwagaba, Arua, Mbarara, Gulu and Mbale will be regional cities while others will be strategic cities; Fort Portal (tourism), Jinja (industrial), Lira (industrial) and Hoima (oil).
Nakasongola and Moroto have been differed because their planning requires a different model where basic amenities must be put in place in order to attract dwellers.
Fort Portal tourism city
A fortnight ago, Kabarole District Council approved the proposed Fort Portal tourism city after resolving to annex other lower administrative units as it gears up for the long awaited city status.
Parts of the district annexed to the proposed tourism city include Karago Town Council and Ibaale Parish from Busoro and Karambi sub-counties.
Others include Kiko, Mugusu and Kasenda town councils and Kasenda, Ruteete, Mugusu and Karagura sub-counties. These are endowed with tourism sites such as crater lakes.
The proposed city will have two divisions; one will cover the present East and South divisions, Ibaale Parish, Rubigo Parish and Karambi Sub-county, while the other will cover the present West Division, Karago Town Council, Bukuuku Sub-county and Butebe Parish.
Currently, Fort Portal has West, East and South divisions, covering about 40 square kilometers against the required 120 square kilometers, according to the mayor, the Rev Kintu Muhanga. The 2014 national census put the town population at 54,275.
The urban authority in 2016 launched a campaign of planting one million trees with the aim of creating a forest city by 2025.
Credit: Daily Monitor
Dr Reuben Savai, 70, whose attempts to run for the presidency in 1997 and 2002 were thwarted by the electoral commission is dead, his son Mr Daniel Lihanda said on Sunday.
Despite securing six degrees and a diploma, the controversial politician still could not secure formal employment in Kenya.
Dr Savai, who holds six degrees from Greece and a diploma from Makerere University in Uganda, was barred from contesting for the top seat by the defunct Electoral Commission of Kenya in the 1997 and 2002 elections.
After failed attempts, the Kenya Republican Reformation Party leader’s effort to secure a formal job also hit a dead end.
Some of his academic credentials include Diploma in Theology, Law degree and two Bachelor of Education degrees, one in Arts and another in Science.
As from: Daily Monitor
Five stolen vehicles were on Saturday recovered from Lira town during a joint operation to crackdown on car theft in Lira and Soroti towns.
The operation was spearheaded by Internal Security Organization (ISO) and Uganda Peoples Defense Forces (UPDF), following concerns over rampant cases of car theft in the area.
The recovered cars include; Toyata Premio UAT 702E (grey) allegedly stolen from Gulu, Toyota Noah number UBD 141K (dark blue) allegedly stolen from Amuru District, Premio UAX 651Y, Noah UAR 593T and a Super Custom.
Three of the stolen vehicles were recovered from Soroti while two were recovered from Lira town.
An ISO operatives who declined to be named said that intelligence information for the past three weeks indicated that car thieves had pitched camp in Lira town which increased car theft cases in the region.
“We have arrested several suspects and the next thing is to find out how and where they trade these cars,” he said, adding: “Among the suspects we have arrested is one who identifies a specific car to be stolen and the one who would look for the market of the car.”
US President Donald Trump will address the nation on Monday after two shootings left 29 people dead and sparked accusations that his rhetoric was part of the problem.
The rampages turned innocent snippets of everyday life into nightmares of bloodshed: 20 people were shot dead while shopping at a crowded Walmart in El Paso, Texas on Saturday morning, and nine more outside a bar in a popular nightlife district in Dayton, Ohio just 13 hours later.
Trump will again find himself in the role of consoler-in-chief after a tragedy -- which he has struggled with in the past -- when he speaks at 10:00 am (1400 GMT).
Following the shootings, Trump said "hate has no place in our country," but he also blamed mental illness for the violence.
"These are really people that are very, very seriously mentally ill," he said, despite the fact that police have not confirmed this to be the case.
"We have to get it stopped. This has been going on for years... and years in our country," he said.
Drama unfolded in Godmiaha village, Rachuonyo East in Homa Bay County, Kenya, when a 38-year-old man who was believed to have died a month ago resurfaced as “his funeral” was underway.
Mr Kennedy Olwa, who is reported to have disappeared from home for almost 20 years and was presumed dead, appeared to mourners who had attended his “funeral” at his parents’ home.
The man is said to have gone to Mbita Town and became a fisherman after he left home.
He later relocated to Alum beach along Lake Victoria in Rachuonyo North Sub-County.
According to Ramba Location Chief Joseph Ndege, the family of Mr Olwa was informed that their son had died after an illness.
A team of police detectives from the Criminal Investigations Directorate (CID) has commence the probe on circumstances under which a local musician Michael Kalinda aka Ziggy Wyne was kidnapped, beaten and left for dead a couple of weeks ago.
Ziggy Wyne breathed his last on Sunday evening at Mulago National Referral Hospital where he was dumped by his kidnappers after beating him beyond recognition.
The deceased musician who was also a People Power supporter was found in a devastating state on Friday evening with his left eye plucked out and two of his fingers cut off, according to Bobi Wine.
Police Spokesperson, Fred Enanga on Monday said a team of homicide detectives has started tracing for the thugs who kidnapped Kalinda from his home in Gganda, Wakiso District.
“The detectives from Kawempe Police Division will work along CID homicide officers to establish circumstances under which Ziggy Wine was kidnapped and maimed leading to his death,” he said.
Credit: The Daily Monitor
Kampala. Court has dismissed an application seeking to block a government entity from constructing a sewage treatment plant to mitigate the irritating stench at Kiruddu Hospital in Kampala.
On May 5, the Assistant Registrar of the High Court Land Division, Ms Justine Atukwasa, ruled that the construction of a sewage treatment plant is meant for the greater good of the wider public which should not be stopped.
The registrar added that if in its final judgment court finds that Mr Steven Lwanga, who is claiming ownership of part of the land is the rightful owner, he can be compensated.
“The question would be what is the threat here that would render the applicant’s main application and the matter nugatory that it cannot be addressed through the award of damages? I do not find any such threat. He still has remedies at disposal including compensation for his equitable interest,” Ms Atukwasa ruled.
She continued: “In conclusion, therefore, bearing the above consideration in mind, I have come to the finding that this is not a fit and proper case for the application of interim injunction to be granted.”
The registrar further explained that court declined to issue a temporary injunction against government halting the construction of the sewage plant because it does so only in compelling circumstances.
Mr Emmanuel Ainebyoona, the spokesperson of the Ministry of Health, said following the court ruling, they are waiting for the National Water and Sewerage Cooperation to commence the construction of the treatment plant.
“This land was given to the ministry by Buganda Land Board which promised to sort out all third party claimants. So, we are now waiting for the National Water and Sewerage Cooperation to commence the construction of the waste treatment plant,” Mr Ainebyoona said yesterday.
In his petition, Mr Lwanga had sought for an interim injunction blocking Buganda Land Board (BLB) and Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) or their agents from further trespassing on the contested land measuring 2.75 acres in Valley Zone, Salama Parish in Makindye Division where the treatment plant is set to be constructed until his main case has been concluded to determine his claim of ownership.
Mr Lwanga is claiming the land which was also formerly claimed by a one Serufusa who acquired it from Prince Richard Nakibinge of Kabaka, Sir Daudi Chwa lineage.
In February this year, following complaints from the residents about the terrible stench at Kiruddu Hospital, government and BLB negotiated to acquire the 2.5 acre land to build a sewage treatment plant to remedy the problem.
The BLB offered a lease to government through KCCA. Early this year, the area MP Allan Ssewanyana and the residents held a demonstration to protest the stench. Police arrested the MP.
Once the treatment plant is completed, the sewage from the hospital will be channelled directly to the plant since the current septic tanks cannot contain the huge sewage discharge from the hospital.
Credit: Daily Monitor
Suspected kidnappers of US tourist Kimbley Sue Endicott have been arrested. Endicott and a Ugandan tour guide Jean Paul Mirenge Remezo were kidnapped by four gunmen, who hijacked their safari vehicle from Queen Elizabeth National Park on April 2.
The gunmen had demanded a ransom of $500,000 (about Shs1.8b) using Ms Sue and Mirenge’s cell phones.
Police said the two were rescued from the Democratic Republic of Congo by a joint effort involving the Uganda police force, Uganda Peoples Defence Forces (UPDF) and sister security agencies.
Reports indicate that the US military also provided support to Ugandan security forces to accomplish the mission. The support included intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance assets and liaison officers, according to US news outlets.
Ms Sue was handed over to the US Embassy in Kampala by Inspector General of Police Martin Okoth Ochola on Monday.
Two of the four gunmen have reportedly been apprehended. The two were only identified as Hakim and Kwarishiima. Sources said the suspects were flown from Kanungu District in western Uganda where they were tracked using a device which was placed in the ransom money they received before setting Ms Sue and Mirenge free.
"The joint security team actively investigating the kidnapping incident and successful recovery of an American tourist Ms. Kimberly Sue Endicott and a Senior Tour Guide, Jean Paul Mirenge- Remezo, has made some arrests of suspects, on suspicion of being involved in their kidnap," police tweeted on Tuesday.
Police spokesperson Fred Enanga confirmed to URN that there were some arrests made in regard to the kidnap. He, however, declined to divulge details.
"I can confirm that there were some arrests but I am yet to get details. I will brief you when I get the information," Enanga said.
US President Donald Trump on Monday tasked the Ugandan government to hunt the kidnappers and bring them to book.
“Uganda must find the kidnappers of the American tourist and guide before people will feel safe in going there. Bring them to justice openly and quickly,” President Trump tweeted.
The kidnap cast a shadow on Queen Elizabeth National Park, one of the most visited tourist attractions which is home to lions, hippos, crocodiles and various types of antelopes.
Credit: Daily Monitor Uganda
A Canadian couple has successfully completed a 2,200km ride around three regions of Uganda, raising awareness about vulnerable children.
John Devris and Stacy Devris from British Columbia arrived in the country last month and embarked on a trip around 50 districts in the East, Central and Western Uganda. They returned to Kassanda District on Tuesday.
The whole journey, according to Stacy took them 30 days, riding between 50km to 100km every day.
Stacy says when she first came to Uganda in 2017, she saw a number of vulnerable children and on her return home, she decided to hold an activity through which she would support them.
“I am happy that when I told my husband John about it, he accepted and we decided to come back to Uganda and identify some vulnerable children to assist,” She says.
This comes at a time when Stacy is celebrating her 50th birth day. She says she chose to celebrate her birth day by supporting vulnerable children.
In Kassanda District, the couple was welcomed by officials of Kassanda Children’s Aid, a Christian community based organisation caring for vulnerable children.
“We are happy that we have returned while still alive, everywhere we have passed, our presence has been felt and we hope people will sustain the campaign to help vulnerable children ,” She says
Pastor Vincent Ssenyonga, the Chief Executive Officer for Kassanda Children’s Aid commends the couple for supporting children.
Ssenyonga says the couple has already identified 54 children in the area whose schools fees they are going to pay.
Majority of the beneficiaries are orphans or come from impoverished families.
“Deciding to celebrate your birth day by supporting others is a very good gesture and we need also learn from you so that we always engage in such activities,” he says.
Source: Daily Monitor
Kampala. East African governments have renewed efforts to bring the betting industry under strict control amid claims of tax evasion and fears of a growing gambling culture and addition among the youth, who are mostly unemployed.
Kenya and Uganda have moved to vet industry players with threats of revocation of licences to tame the proliferation of betting, gaming and gambling outlets.
Despite imposing a punitive tax regimes, restricting the importation of gaming devices and impounding and burning gambling machines, the sector has continued to record growth.
Uganda levies a 35 per cent tax on betting, while in Kenya, the same was reduced to 15 per cent after lobbying by sector players.
While both countries have resorted to drastic measures to contain a sector that has largely become a social and economic menace, Tanzania enacted a strong regulatory framework through the Gaming Act, 2003.
In the 2017/18 financial year, Tanzania collected $36 million from gaming and betting.
But religious leaders recently lobbied President John Magufuli to ban betting altogether to control addiction among the youth.
Just this week, Kenya announced that licences for all betting agencies stand suspended as from July 1, and that their renewal will be subject to proof that the companies are tax compliant.
President Museveni recently directed the Ministry of Finance to stop licencing sports betting, gaming and gambling companies due to the negative effects the industry is having on the youth.
A recent GeoPoll rapid survey carried out among youth between the ages of 17 and35 in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Nigeria and South Africa show that millennials in sub-Saharan Africa spend $50 monthly on betting through their mobile phones.
Source: Daily Monitor